Board Actions during 2008 – 2009
1. 1/12/08 – Scott Smiley, Ed Rush, Colleen Dunham, Cheryl Landes, and Maria Sosnowski voted to allow two signatories instead of three on the bank signature card, and also to require new signatures every two years rather than every year. This will make changing cards easier.
2. 1/13/08 – Scott Smiley, Cheryl Landes, Maria Sosnowski voted to allow the Logo Committee to negotiate a contract with Barbara Gleason to produce logo designs. The contract negotiated will require approval from the Board.
3. 2/10/08 – Scott Smily, Cheryl Landes, Maria Sosnowski voted to approve the amended contract from Barbara Gleason to create a logo. Ed Rush voted no.
4. 5/12/08 – Scott Smiley, Maria Sosnowski, Cheryl Landes, Ed Rush voted to approve a donation of $500 to Friends of Heybrook Ridge to save the trees above Index, WA.
5. 7/28/08 – Scott Smiley, Maria Sosnowski, Cheryl Landes, Ed Rush voted to approve this policy for the list:
“The e-mail list owned by this chapter allows announcements of items or services for sale or wanted, subject to approval by the list manager. These items or services must be related to the indexing profession. Negotiations for purchasing all items and services, as well as conducting the transactions, must be made offlist. If such announcements become a burden to the list, the list manager may limit or curtail them.”
6. 8/20/08 – Ed Rush, Scott Smiley, Cheryl Landes, and Maria Sosnowski voted to approve the request for the expenditure of $600 to purchase an ad in Publishers Weekly to announce the publisher’s honor roll. This is a significant price discount from their normal rates.
7. 8/24/08 – Ed Rush, Scott Smiley, Cheryl Landes, and Maria Sosnowski voted to have one formal meeting each fall and one informal meeting each spring.
8. 8/24/08 – Ed Rush, Scott Smiley, Cheryl Landes, and Maria Sosnowski voted to raise the fee for the meeting for members to $95.
9. 8/24/08 – Ed Rush, Scott Smiley, Cheryl Landes, and Maria Sosnowski voted to reduce the meeting fee waiver for officers from 100% to 50% of the basic registration fee.
10. 8/24/08 – Ed Rush, Scott Smiley, Cheryl Landes, and Maria Sosnowski voted to give the job of maintaining who is on the admin loop listserv to the Volunteer Coordinator. The list should include current members and those who left office within the past year, committee coordinators, candidates for office (who should be removed if they are not elected), and any ASI board members from our chapter.
11. 9/9/08 – Ed Rush, Cheryl Landes, Scott Smiley, and Maria Sosnowski voted to approve the meeting minutes as amended for the Fall, 2008 board meeting.
12. 11/15/08 – Ed Rush, Cheryl Landes, Scott Smiley, and Maria Sosnowski voted to adopt this policy statement:
“The Chapter Treasurer may not serve more than two terms consecutively, but there is no term limit on nonconsecutive terms. This policy may be waived by a unanimous decision of the Board.”
13. 11/15/08 – Ed Rush, Cheryl Landes, Scott Smiley, and Maria Sosnowski voted to pursue the group tax exemption with ASI rather than incorporating or having RC handle our finances.
14. 1/24/09 – Ed Rush, Cheryl Landes, Sheila Ryan and Maria Sosnowski voted to amend the fall 2008 minutes to add names of officers to the first paragraph and an addendum addressing the new EIN in an addendum.
15. 5/10/09 – Ed Rush, Cheryl Landes, Sheila Ryan and Maria Sosnowski voted to have the fee structure for formal meetings be as follows:
earlybird member registration ……………… $95
earlybird nonmember registration ……….. $125
“regular” member registration ……………. $125
“regular” nonmember registration ……….. $155
first-timer discounted registration ………… $70
16. 9/27/09 – Nancy Gerth, Sheila Ryan, and Maria Sosnowski voted to remove Ed from the board due to lack of participation.
17. 9/27/09 – Nancy Gerth, Cheryl Landes, Sheila Ryan, and Maria Sosnowski voted to place Ann Yager in charge of arranging the informal meeting for spring 2010, which will involve a common activity that Ann plans to be carried out at a variety of locations throughout the region.
18. 9/27/09 – Nancy Gerth, Cheryl Landes, Sheila Ryan, and Maria Sosnowski voted to give the Ice Age Institute a $100 honorarium for conducting the tour for our chapter members.
19. 9/27/09 – Nancy Gerth, Cheryl Landes, Sheila Ryan, and Maria Sosnowski voted to have future formal meetings be held in Vancouver WA as a central location in the fall of each year.
Board Actions during 2009-2010
1. 10/07/2009 – Veronica Hughes accepted the position of archivist. She will be digitizing our files and disposing of print at her discretion.
2. 10/14/2009 – Announcement made to chapter members via email of change in Board: President- Nancy Gerth; Past-President- Scott Smiley; Vice-President-empty; Treasurer-Sheila Ryan; Secretary- Maria Sosnowski.
3. 1/3/2010 – Fall 2010 meeting plan and budget submitted to Board for comment.
4. 1/12/2010 – Annual Meeting 2010 dates and budget approved by Board via email.
Re-approved 1/17/2010 via email.
5. 1/13/2010 – Spring InSync meeting date of April 10 approved by Board via email.
Approved $5 food/lunch reimbursement for meeting attendees.
6. 2/1/2010 – Board approved a Bylaws committee consisting of Debra Spidal and Maria Sosnoski to research and revise the chapter bylaws.
7. 2/3/2010 – Jane Henderson proposed a one-year hiatus from Wordstock due to low interest in staffing. Proposal accepted by Board via email.
8. 6/9/2010 – Board approved Officer nominations and Bylaws revision for ballot with a closing date of July 15, 2010 for voting. Ballot sent to REC for formatting and distribution.
9. 10/04/2010 – Board approved expenditure of $557 to reprint Chapter brochures via email.
10. 10/13/2010 – Board approved payment for the Publishers Weekly ad after application of the raffle monies via email.
11. 11/11/2010 – Board approved Board meeting minutes for August 28, 2010 via email.
12. 11/12/2010 – Board approved following statement for inclusion in chapter newsletter in lieu of full or highlighted minutes via email:
The Board met on August 28, 2010 during the 2010 Annual Chapter Meeting.
Minutes are available at http://www.pnwasi.org/mtgs-collected.htm
Board Actions 2011
1. June 14, 2011 The board voted unanimously to approve rental fee of $267.50 for the WRC for the chapter meeting on October 22, 2011.
2. August 10, 2011 The board voted unanimously to approve an additional fee of $50 for the Montana Book Festival.
3. August 20, 2011 The board voted unanimously to approve the minutes of the previous meeting as corrected.
4. August 24, 2011 The board voted unanimously to accept the nominations of Paul Sweum as Vice President/ Program Chair, and Madge Walls as Secretary.
5. September 2, 2011 The board voted unanimously to approve the revised budget for the fall 2011 meeting.
6. September 9, 2011 The board voted unanimously to approve the registration fee structure for the fall meeting, including waiver of registration fees for presenters and purchase of a gift card for the guest speaker.
7. September 15, 2011 The board voted unanimously to approve purchase of an ad in Publishers Weekly for the chapter’s Publisher’s Honor Roll.
8. September 28, 2011 The board voted to approve a non-ASI member to submit a nomination to the Publisher’s Honor Roll for a $15 fee.
9. October 17, 2011 The board voted unanimously to accept the results of the election of Paul Sweum as Vice President/Program Chair, and Madge Walls as Secretary.
Board Actions 2012
1. Minutes of last meeting were approved as corrected on January 24, 2012.
2. The following was moved by Judi and approved unanimously on March 6, 2012.
Summer Chapter Meeting and Program
Location: Bastyr University, Kirkland, WA
Dates: Fri. June 8-Sun. June 10;
Friday dinner (TBD),
Saturday (Bastyr), primary sessions
Saturday dinner (TBD),
Sunday Board meeting (Bastyr herb garden, weather pending)
Saturday agenda: Kickoff with author/publisher David Burch, Starpath Publications AM slots 1 & 2: “Indexing with Adobe InDesign” with Cheryl Landes PM slot 3: “Indexing Passing Mentions” with Judi Gibbs & Cheryl Landes PM slot 4: “Holistic Office Fitness” with Larry Swanson, LMP
Budget: as described in the proposal dated 3/5/2012….a total of $1,174.03 with suggested gains allocations.
3. Erica Caridio moved, Ann Yager seconded on March 9, 2012 that we set the following registration fee structure for Spring 2012 chapter meeting:
Member (ASI/ISC/STC) rate (early bird) $ 80.00 board member rate $ 40.00 first-timer rate $ 55.00 non-member rate (early bird) or member rate (reg) $ 110.00 non-member rate (reg) $ 140.00
4. Ann Yager moved, Erica seconded on March 29, 2012: We hold the fall 2012 meeting at the Water Resource Center in Vancouver, WA, and send in a deposit as required now to secure the reservation.
Yea: Paul, Madge, Judi Gibbs, Erica, Ann
5. July 20, 2012 Montana Festival of the Book
Moved by Judi Gibbs that we allocate $125 for a table for Montana Festival of the Book.
Seconded by Paul. Passed unanimously.
6. July 10, 2012 re Chapter Workshop and Conference Refund policy.
–Cancellations received one week (seven days) or more before a meeting are eligible for a refund of 75%.
–Cancellations after the cancellation deadline are eligible for a 50% refund if the registrant was forced to cancel due to illness, a family emergency, or similar circumstances beyond their control.
–Refund requests must be submitted in writing to the treasurer within 14 days following the meeting.
-The refund deadline and a brief synopsis of this policy will be stated on the registration form.
The following statement (or similar) should appear on the registration form:
Refund policy: Cancellations received by the treasurer by [date] are eligible for a 75% refund. Cancellations after this date may be eligible for a 50% refund if the registrant is forced to cancel due to illness or emergency. All requests for refunds must be received in writing by the treasurer within 14 days following the meeting date.
Moved by Erica, seconded by Ann, passed unanimously.
7. October 2012 Chapter Meeting and Attendance Rates
It was moved by Judi, seconded by Madge that we accept the memo from Paul dated July 23, 2012 outlining the workshop speakers, agenda, budget, and registration fees. Passed unanimously.
8. Minutes of June 10, 2012 Board meeting at Bastyr University.
Moved by Erica, seconded by Paul that the minutes be accepted as corrected. Passed unanimously.